TanJam!

Did You Have A Mari-juana Christmas?!

I am wondering if I truly am old fashioned, behind the times, and/or a product of a law-enforcement family? I am still surprised when I learn of open and liberal use of marijuana by young adults and their parents…even though it is still illegal here in Connecticut.

In an early version of this blog I listed a few examples I learned of folks who were allegedly indulging in marijuana with their young adult children and/or knew their kids were using and OK with it. (Think stocking stuffer, think baked in Yuletide treats.) Although I didn’t use names, I fear I have created some hardships, so I have edited here. I apologize.

The point remains that prolific use of pot has infiltrated even the holidays. It does seem so main stream, nowadays. So why am I still so hesitant to embrace it?

I guess there are a few things I still grapple with.

First, it’s still illegal.  I am the wife of a police officer who stands by her man who took an oath 26 years ago to uphold the current law.

Second, I still believe, for some, it is a gateway drug leading to hard, life ruining addictions. I’ve experienced first hand what it does to family. For what it was worth, I’ve served as a co-chair of a youth and family community Prevention Council Board. I’ve been a proponent of the D.A.R.E. program and have fought to keep kids off of drugs.

Finally, I’m clinging to one last concern–for the health of those I know and care about inhaling and ingesting crappy chemicals of unregulated marijuana that may cause them serious bodily harm. The article here, “3 Dangerous Chemicals Marijuana Actually Contains” underscores my concerns, whether marijuana is for recreational or medical use.

“3 Dangerous Chemicals Marijuana Actually Contains” “…Heather Miller Coyle is a botanist and associate professor at the University of New Haven in Connecticut. For half a decade, Miller Coyle’s research has been funded by grants from the U.S. Office of National Drug Control Policy’s High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area’s program. Her team has developed a bar-coding system to identity the genetic foundation of various forms of marijuana. This system detects contaminants that may be found in the drug. It turns out that marijuana might have byproducts such as fungi, mildew, and bacterial contaminants (like e-coli and salmonella). In the production of marijuana, various other things can be found in the drug, like insects, pesticides, and mold. Coyle’s team discovered that many of the items can be seen with a naked eye if one would just observe. With this new information, Coyle turned to public health. Her request was simple: for those states who choose to allow use of marijuana, control and test the products to ensure their safety. In an interview with ABCnews.com, Coyle spoke about how marijuana compares with other drugs administered for medicinal purposes.

“Every other medicine out there is controlled and monitored for quality and not administered in a smokable format,” said Heather Miller Coyle is a botanist and associate professor at the University of New Haven in Connecticut. “There’s a lot of concern about the way these forms of medical marijuana are grown. A lot of the time, they are grown in a noncertified fashion…”

I still have a lot of concerns, but am at the point where I think marijuana probably needs to be made legal, regulated (to know what you are inhaling…pesticides, fungi, etc.) and taxed like liquor.

What do you have to say? Please take the poll and please leave a comment.

One Response to “Did You Have A Mari-juana Christmas?!”

1. tanjabuzzimoriarty

tanjabuzzimoriarty
    tanjamoriarty.com
    tanjam265@gmail.com
    209.113.232.82
    Submitted on 2014/01/16 at 5:00 pm

Some historical information that was posted on my facebook. Thanks, D.
    tanjabuzzimoriarty
    tanjamoriarty.com
    tanjam265@gmail.com
    50.138.243.195
    Submitted on 2014/01/13 at 9:15 pm | In reply to franklin.

Just thinking about it all, Franklin. Making observations as a journalist, “square” mother, cop’s wife. You make good points, it is common place.
    franklin
    franklinamarston@gmail.com
    50.138.240.227
    Submitted on 2014/01/13 at 8:26 pm

Would it have been more appropriate if he got a whiskey bottle for Christmas?

It feels unfair that these families’ holiday events (in spite of their legality) are being posted on a blog without their consent–just to back up your hesitation with the herb becoming more commonplace.

I think your anecdotes do quite the opposite.

Since there are multiple instances of this, people must be warming up to marijuana. Yes, the times are changing with or without you.
    Sean Moriarty
    smmoriarty@comcast.net
    12.132.106.127
    Submitted on 2014/01/13 at 7:07 pm | In reply to eifrigjen.

I am not sure if it is the war on drugs that “ruined lives” or the decision to engage in a known illegal activity with the consequences that come along with it.
    Those who chose to flaunt the laws at hand (if it were legal I would not have an issue with it) do so at there own risk. Just because someone does not think an activity should be illegal does not give them the right to do it. Therefor by partaking in the activity, be it drugs or any other illegal thing, they ruin their own lives when apprehended.
    Perhaps this is indicative of a larger problem in our society, we are never to blame for our own actions or problems. It is always the fault of someone else. The police ruined my life because I got caught, I failed in school because the teacher/ professor has it out for me, I did not get a promotion because someone was sucking up and the litany goes on.
    eifrigjen
    jennifereifrigauthor.com
    eifrigjen@mac.com
    76.231.169.10
    Submitted on 2014/01/13 at 6:42 pm

I guess I’m largely content to let adults make their own choices, as long as they aren’t on the roads or the waters or otherwise endangering people by impaired operation of cars and equipment. I can say for sure that the “war on drugs” has done nothing to stop the flow of controlled substances, and has done a lot to ruin lives and cost millions of taxpayer dollars imprisoning people.
    tanjabuzzimoriarty
    tanjamoriarty.com
    tanjam265@gmail.com
    50.138.243.195
    Submitted on 2014/01/13 at 6:27 pm | In reply to Martin.

Thank you, Martin! Keep the conversation going.
    Martin
    420smokersblog.wordpress.com
    wmcsbank@gmail.com
    79.77.110.98
    Submitted on 2014/01/13 at 5:55 pm

Reblogged this on 4:20 Smokers Blog.
    tanjabuzzimoriarty
    tanjamoriarty.com
    tanjam265@gmail.com
    50.138.243.195
    Submitted on 2014/01/13 at 5:53 pm | In reply to somersaultfarm.

It seems to be a losing battle, M. I have heard the arguments, pro and con. As a society we seem to need to snow ourselves out to deal with one another…that legal glass of wine, whiskey, prescribed (properly or improperly used) pills, or illegal drugs, etc..it is sad. Each can have ill effects on society.

I am concerned about what might be in unregulated marijuana that could really do damage to people who don’t know where their stash is coming from.
    From a recent article Marijuanaaddiction.com. 3 Dangerous Chemicals Marijuana Actually Contains

“Every other medicine out there is controlled and monitored for quality and not administered in a smokable format,” she said. “There’s a lot of concern about the way these forms of medical marijuana are grown. A lot of the time, they are grown in a noncertified fashion…”
    somersaultfarm
    somersaultfarm.wordpress.com
    mmhalpin@comcast.net
    76.96.62.90
    Submitted on 2014/01/13 at 4:58 pm

All this in the name of taxes?

Mental impairment is a choice drug-users make. Will the State now pay for physical impairment of victims of drug-users? Doubt it.

You might as well make prostitution legal and merely tax it. It maybe is already.

Marianne

Sent from my iPad
    dgreid1907
    dgreid1907.wordpress.com
    admin@dgreid.com
    50.163.38.163
    Submitted on 2014/01/13 at 4:45 pm

I’m all for leagalizing, regulating and taxing but the behavior you describe does seem odd. We’re not passing the whiskey bottle around when we open presents so why pass a blunt?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Basic HTML is allowed. Your email address will not be published.

Did You Have A Mari-juana Christmas?!

I guess there are a few things I still grapple with.

What do you have to say? Please take the poll and please leave a comment.

One Response to “Did You Have A Mari-juana Christmas?!”

1. tanjabuzzimoriarty

tanjabuzzimoriarty
    tanjamoriarty.com
    tanjam265@gmail.com
    209.113.232.82
    Submitted on 2014/01/16 at 5:00 pm

Some historical information that was posted on my facebook. Thanks, D.
    tanjabuzzimoriarty
    tanjamoriarty.com
    tanjam265@gmail.com
    50.138.243.195
    Submitted on 2014/01/13 at 9:15 pm | In reply to franklin.

franklin
    franklinamarston@gmail.com
    50.138.240.227
    Submitted on 2014/01/13 at 8:26 pm

Would it have been more appropriate if he got a whiskey bottle for Christmas?

I think your anecdotes do quite the opposite.

Sean Moriarty
    smmoriarty@comcast.net
    12.132.106.127
    Submitted on 2014/01/13 at 7:07 pm | In reply to eifrigjen.

eifrigjen
    jennifereifrigauthor.com
    eifrigjen@mac.com
    76.231.169.10
    Submitted on 2014/01/13 at 6:42 pm

tanjabuzzimoriarty
    tanjamoriarty.com
    tanjam265@gmail.com
    50.138.243.195
    Submitted on 2014/01/13 at 6:27 pm | In reply to Martin.

Thank you, Martin! Keep the conversation going.
    Martin
    420smokersblog.wordpress.com
    wmcsbank@gmail.com
    79.77.110.98
    Submitted on 2014/01/13 at 5:55 pm

Reblogged this on 4:20 Smokers Blog.
    tanjabuzzimoriarty
    tanjamoriarty.com
    tanjam265@gmail.com
    50.138.243.195
    Submitted on 2014/01/13 at 5:53 pm | In reply to somersaultfarm.

somersaultfarm
    somersaultfarm.wordpress.com
    mmhalpin@comcast.net
    76.96.62.90
    Submitted on 2014/01/13 at 4:58 pm

All this in the name of taxes?

Marianne

Sent from my iPad
    dgreid1907
    dgreid1907.wordpress.com
    admin@dgreid.com
    50.163.38.163
    Submitted on 2014/01/13 at 4:45 pm

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Basic HTML is allowed. Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: